On the border between Northumberland and Cumbria, this ground floor accommodation forms part of the original farmhouse. Approached along a quiet lane, Holmhead is set in a lovely sheltered valley, surrounded by open countryside. The house itself is built directly over the foundations of the Roman Wall and is constructed with stones from the Wall. The ruins of Thirlwall Castle loom above, on the opposite bank of the Tipalt Burn behind the house. There are many delightful riverside walks and the footpath is on the route of the Hadrian's Wall path and Pennine Way. The forts of Vindolanda, Birdoswald ,Housesteads and Chesters are easily reached and The Roman Army Museum is just three quarters of a mile by foot. 18 miles to the west is the city of Carlisle. There is a good selection of shops and the castle, cathedral and Tullie House Museum are worth a visit. The market town of Hexham is 19 miles east. Haltwhistle 3 miles offers shops, outdoor swimming pool and tennis. Golf 0.5 mile.
Accommodation all on one level
Lounge/dining room with log effect electric fire, TV with Freesat and DVD.
The kitchen area has electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge with icebox, dishwasher and washing machine.
Bedroom 1 - Double bed.
Bedroom 2 - Twin beds.
Both bedrooms have magnificent views of Thirlwall Castle.
Bathroom with over bath shower, basin and WC.
Electricity and central heating. Travel cot and highchair available on request. Shaver point. Walled garden with furniture and charcoal barbeque. Off road parking. Pub and tea room in village. Shops/PO/café 3 miles. Duvets with linen and towels. Local bus service. No pets. The owner runs bed and breakfast in the farmhouse.
- Saturday changeover
- Sleeps 4
- 2 bedrooms
- 1 bathroom
- No pets allowed
- WiFi internet
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Highchair available
- Travel cot available
- Central heating
- Enclosed garden or courtyard
- Washing machine
- Private parking available
- 52 miles from a beach
- 0.5 mile from a pub
- 3 miles from a shop
- No smoking
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Sponge 15% off Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights...
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 27%.<...
Dineindulge Private Chef Service by Dineindulge
Would you be interested in having a private chef cater for you during your stay from as little as £25 per head?
Please note that Guest House accommodation is above ground floor level and access is via 11 external stone steps. This access is unsuitable for guests with severe mobility problems. Holmhead Cottage and the bunk barn are at ground floor level and have two small steps at the entrance. The bunk barn has some bed spaces at mezzanine level only accessible via steep ladder-steps other beds are on a small platform approx 100mm above ground level.
Holmhead is committed to ensure an appropriate accommodation service for prospective guests with disabilities. Due to the layout of the building and external, we do lack facilities for guests with severe mobility limitations but we do offer alternatives in our service to make Holmhead as accessible as we can. We welcome any enquiries from guests with disabilities so we can discuss their needs and all reasonable attempts will be made to meet these.
- Enquiries using email are available as an alternative for the hearing impaired.
- All guest bedrooms are fitted with smoke detectors.
- The fire alarm in the barn annex is audible only.
- When checking in please advise us if you need assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency information can be communicated verbally on request.
- The nearest train station is 3 miles away in Haltwhistle.
- There are two small taxi firms near the train station; alternatively, there are bus services to Greenhead village.
- Haltwhistle has many shops and these include a chemist, 2 supermarkets, ATMs as well as other shops. There is a petrol station. There is also a 24-hour petrol station with convenience store on the A69 at Low Row about 4 miles west of Greenhead
- Taxis can be booked for guests but guests are advised that there will be a minimum charge as the nearest is 3 miles away.
- Assistance with luggage is available.
- There is mobile phone coverage, but effectiveness will depend on network. EE works normally
- Our breakfast and dinner menus can be available in large print, with prior arrangement and/or can be described verbally.
- Most special dietary requirements can be catered for with advanced notification.
- All areas of Holmhead are non smoking.
- All guest bedrooms are en-suite.
- We recommend people with limited mobility do not stay at Holmhead alone.
Pre – Arrival Parking Facilities
- Holmhead has parking spaces for up to 4 vehicles. There is no designated disabled parking bay.
Main Entrance / Reception
- The Cottage and bunk barn entrances have a small step up from the car park area.
- The Guest House access is via 11 external uneven stone steps
- The entrance corridor to the Guest House is lit with electric low energy lighting.
- Holmhead Guest House has no ground floor bedrooms in the main house.
- There is a ground floor self-catering cottage which is accessed from the car park and is all on one level. Guests are requested to ask for further details of this accommodation when booking.
The car park is a courtyard layout with a gravel area for approximately five/six cars with a tarmac area immediately in front of the barn annex.
Breakfast Room/Lounge Areas: Guest House
- The breakfast room is on the same level as the entrance and lounge areas.
- There are four 2-person tables in the dining room which can can seat up to eight guests. All furniture is moveable.
- All service in the dining room is table service including breakfast where there is also a self help display of cereal, fruits and yoghurts
- Holmhead does not have a lift. The external entrance steps have a single banister rail.
- Guest bedrooms have either a double bed or twin beds
- All of our bedrooms have natural day light as well as ceiling & bedside lights.
- All bedding/pillow protectors and pillows are hypo allergenic. We do not provide feather duvets or pillows.
- All bedrooms have individually controlled heating.
- For guest comfort extra blankets and pillows are available on request.
We do hope all our guests have a comfortable stay with us at Holmhead. With this in mind we do ask people, before they book, to discuss any issues with us, whether it is about access, special dietary requirements or anything else they may be concerned about.